The majority of us hold the belief: low prices mean low quality. Well,, will not say it is totally wrong, but the limit of ‘low prices’ is hard to identify. And surely, 500 dollars is a reasonable budget when it comes to the best mountain bikes.
I remember when I first tried mountain biking, I was overwhelmed with the mass variety of choices and instructions. My uncle, Fred, emptied his pocket (and his bank account) to have a Yeti, which cost more than my annual salary. I, on the other hand, could only afford a Mongoose – a much cheaper and less comfortable choice. However, after a long time, my low-budget friend remains as a powerful warrior, while my uncles are sold to another biker due to its high requirements.
So, if you are looking for a mountain bike that is comfortable, safe, durable, light-weight, and good-looking, check the top 3 that we sorted out after careful assessment.
Top 7 Mountain Bikes Under $500 In 2019
Editor’s Choice – Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s Mountain Bike
- Lightweight aluminum suspension frame
- A 24-speed system with Shimano Derailleurs
- Perfect for dusty trails
- Comfortable when downhill cycling.
- Modest-quality wheels
- Difficult to adjust the front fork and suspension.
- No extra space to store your belongings.
If you are looking for a mountain bike for a single track or down hills, Schwinn Protocol 1.0 bike is what you should look for. With the dual-suspension and an aluminum frame, the model is not only lightweight but also great at speed control. Owing to the built-in full-suspension, you can enjoy the most adventurous rides for various purposes on this low-budget bike.
Best for Beginners – Mongoose TYAX Comp Men’s Mountain Bike
- Ideal for beginners
- 26-inches wheel size – easy to accelerate
- An enjoyable experience which is the same as what expensive ones could give
- Uncomfortable when riding on rough terrains
- A little trouble with the braking system
The Mongoose TYAX is a hardtail mountain bike which suits everyday use. It is a decent recommendation for riders who are five feet or taller.
Owing to the XC aluminum hardtail frame, the model is lightweight. The shock absorption makes the riding experience on Mongoose TYAX smooth, no matter what type of terrain you are on. The amazing 27-speed drive train, Shimano Acera rear and XTR front derailleur shifting system will ensure your delightful experience.
Budget Choice – Victory-Vegas Jackpot Adult Mountain Bike
- Remarkable original wheels
- Solid and smooth shifting
- Easy to assemble
- Difficult to align the rotors
- Limited obstacle handling
Victory-Vegas Jackpot Adult Mountain Bike has fantastic dual suspension and 26-Inch wheels. It also comes with the aluminum frame, making it easier for you to follow adventurous trails without over-exertion.
There are 24 different speed mechanisms for you to adjust to, and the front and rear brakes also contribute to the great performance of this model. However, when facing challenging trails, you will see the disadvantages of this bike.
Best Full Suspension: Mongoose R2780 Impasse
- Great at handling tough trails
- The best bargain for a full suspension bike
- Lightweight frame
- A little difficult to change the speed
Full suspension is a great feature of mountain bikes, but the ones with it are often pricy. Lucky for us, Mongoose brings this excellent model for tackling challenging trails with such an inexpensive cost. You could be ready for fearless adventures just by paying less than $500 now.
Mongoose R2780 Impasse is equipped with ZOOM disc brakes, full-size wheels, and comfortable seat. The light-weight frame makes it easier for you to navigate through the complex route. The SRAM twist shifters only appearing in much more expensive models are available here, too.
Best Hardtail: Schwinn Bonafide Mountain Bike
- Great durability
- Excellent traction from high-quality tires
- Lack of shock absorption
- Modest performance on challenging terrain
If a smoother trail is your cup of tea, full suspension is not necessary. You can use bikes with hardtail to train your cardiovascular endurance. Although they are not good for overcoming big obstacles, their performance is significant on shifting up steep slopes.
The model has 24-speed Shimano EZ-Fire trigger shifters, which is very convenient when challenging yourself on various terrains. The tires are a big bonus since the traction they give is as excellent as that of high-end models. The impeccable power of the brakes received plenty of compliments from riders around the country.
Best for Women: Diamondback Bicycle Lux Women’s Mountain Bike
- Lightweight frame
- Efficient hardtail design
- 24-speed shifter
- Cannot handle big jumps and obstacles
Women will surely love this model because of the eye-catching aluminum aqua appearance and versatility. The frame is really light but sturdy enough to company you on both smooth trails and intense backwoods rides.
The bike is specifically designed to fit various body shapes and size. It also comes with an efficient hardtail, which will be a good help in hill climbing. The 80mm suspension is not something worth compliments, but decent enough for medium adventures.
Best Safety: Cube Aim Pro
- Various wheel size choices
- Enhanced frame to endure any weight and pressure
- Reliable braking performance
- There are two wheel sizes for you to choose, which are 27.5” and 29”. Cube Aim Pro offers seven different bike sizes to serve various types of riders. If you are of medium shape, you can choose between the two.
- This bike comes with hydraulic disc brakes, giving us a safe feeling in all conditions. Riders from all the country pay lots of compliments for the braking performance.
The Bottom Line
As you can see, at $500, it is totally feasible to get the best mountain bike. I just want to add that you should choose bikes with the metal frame instead of choosing the plastic ones for the cheap price. Although there are many other models in this price range, you have to consider carefully to avoid dead ducks. Have fun biking, fellas!